- Police Department
- Police Employment
- Hiring Process & Qualifications
Hiring Process & Qualifications
- Possess 60 semester hours from accredited university or college In lieu of 60 semester hours, 2 years full time law enforcement experience or 2 years active duty military service with honorable discharge or graduate of a technology center school which is CLEET approved will be considered (Reserve and National Guard part time service not considered unless activated under Title 10 or Title 32 Orders).
- Be a citizen of the United States, or naturalized citizen, or possess legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Between the ages of 21 and 45 years at time of employment, unless previous OPPRS service is recognized.
- Valid state issued driver's license or ability to obtain one.
- No history involving moral turpitude.
- No felony or serious misdemeanor convictions.
- Must pass physical agility test and obstacle course (CLEET).
- Must pass all written and interview exams.
- Must pass psychological examination (MMPI).
- Must pass extensive background investigation.
- Must pass Oklahoma Police Pension Board physical and drug screening.
- Have no convictions for domestic violence and/or stalking.
- Have no pending criminal charges, warrants for arrest, probation for criminal offense, parole, or deferred sentence.
- Does not have multiple driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs convictions.
- Have no use of marijuana (including medical marijuana) in the past three years.
- Have no medical marijuana license.
- Have no dishonorable discharge from any United States Military branch (Department of Defense Form 214).
- Have no serious traffic offenses within in the past three years.
- Have no drivers license suspension or revocation in the past three years.
- Have no more than six points on driving record.
- Have no more than two chargeable accidents in the last three years.
- Have not been issued any law enforcement license by a state regulatory commission or authority which has been suspended or revoked.
- Have no incident(s) of perjury or deception.
- Have no incident(s) of drug abuse/misuse while employed as a law enforcement officer.
- No visible tattoos unless approved; Per YPD Policy - If an officer has, or wishes to acquire, a tattoo that would be visible while wearing a departmental uniform, they are required to either wear a natural, flesh tone, or dark navy tattoo concealment sleeve or submit a request for approval to display tattoo(s). Tattoo(s) may be visible in the department uniform as approved by waiver from the Chief of Police or the authorized designee.
Phase 1 Application
Before an individual can become a candidate for any given position and proceed with testing they must first submit a completed City of Yukon Employment Application on the City of Yukon Human Resources designated website (no paper applications will be accepted). The completed Yukon Police Department Personal History Statement (background packet) will be submitted upon the successful completion of the physical and written testing.
Phase 1 Initial Background Investigation
An initial review of the applicant's background packet will be reviewed for all requested documentation and completion of the background packet.
Phase 2 Physical Fitness Test
Phase 2 of the testing process is the Physical Fitness Test. The Physical Fitness Test used by the Yukon Police Department is a Fitness test consisting of four segments. Applicants must pass each segment in order to advance to Phase III. The standards are universal. There is no deviation in regard to sex, age, or weight. Although not required, we strongly suggest participants consult with their own medical doctor, as to their current physical condition, to determine their individual ability to perform these assessments. Headphones are not allowed during testing. All segments must be attempted by the applicant.
- Segment one: Standard push-ups an applicant can perform in one minute
- Segment two: Sit-ups the applicant can perform in one minute
- Segment three: 300-meter run
- Segment four: One mile run
Phase 3 Written Test
The Yukon Police Department will administer a national validated written test to applicants. The minimum passing score will be 70%.
Phase 4 Oral Review Board
The top applicants will appear before the Oral Review Board. The Oral Review Board for Police Officer will be a formal interview with board members asking the applicant questions related to their interest in a career with the Yukon Police Department.
Phase 5 Truth Verification Test, Background Investigation & Chief's Interview
Applicants who proceed to this phase will be given a truth verification test or polygraph, an extensive background investigation and a final interview with the Chief of Police. Applicants during this phase may be offered a conditional job offer pending the successful completion of a psychological evaluation and pension physical.