Frequently Asked Questions - City of Yukon

Frequently Asked Questions



If I pay my citation before my assigned court date, do I still have to appear in court?

No.  If a citation is paid before your scheduled court date, your court appearance is not required. 

What if I'm unable to pay my citation by my court date?

You may appear before the Municipal Judge or contact the Court Clerk's office for payment options.  

Will the violation go on my driving record?

Under Oklahoma law, the court is required to transmit a violation within five (5) days of the final disposition date to the Department of Public Safety.  For additional questions, contact DPS at 405.425.2059.   

What happens if I fail to appear at my arraignment?

If the citation is not paid, a warrant is issued.  See Notice for warrant information.

Can someone else pay my citation?

Yes.  A citation copy is required to accurately process your payment.

Can I obtain a copy of my driving record?

Yes.  A driving record is available at any tag agency.

Can I obtain a copy of my history with the court?

Yes.  Your history is available with valid identification, a fee of $1.00 per page, and the completion of an Open Records Request. 

Can my driver's license be suspended if I'm driving without valid auto insurance?

Yes. Under Oklahoma State Law, a driver is required to carry a valid insurance verification in their vehicle.  If you did not have valid insurance at the time of the stop, you are encouraged to appear in court.

If I have a warrant for my arrest, what are my options:

You can either pay with cash, cashier's check, money order or credit card at the Court Clerk's office, or turn yourself into the custody of the Yukon Police Department.  The Municipal Judge is contacted and will administer their judgement at the jail.

Once my warrant is paid and closed, how do I reinstate my driver's license?

When a warrant is paid and closed, the Court Clerk's office will process a release for the suspended driver's license.  It is your responsibility to obtain a copy of said release from the Court Clerk's office.  This release is needed by DPS to reinstate your driver's license.

Requirements of DPS:

Take the release to the Department of Public Safety (DPS), 3600 N. Martin Luther King, Oklahoma City.  The phone number for Driver Compliance is 405.425.2059.  The suspended driver's license is not reinstated until the requirements of Department of Public Safety are satisfied.